Friday, April 9, 2010

No Bone Marrow Biopsy!!!

I had spoken with my hemotologist a few weeks ago and was told that getting a bone marrow biopsy was my choice.  I was still undecided when some other health issues started happening.  I scheduled an appointment with my primary care physician here, but my appointment isn't until April 16th.  I decided to call my hemotologist just to keep her updated.  Her nurse didn't understand why I was calling, and didn't understand the agreement that the doctor and I had made a few weeks ago.  She was convinced that I needed to come in for a check up.  After trying to argue with her for a few minutes I caved and scheduled the appointment for 2 days later (April 1st).
The drive is over 3 hours!  My cousin Bri, her daughter Piper and Alyssa came.  The CMA brought me back to take some blood and get my vitals.  While taking my weight he had the marker on 150 (what the heck!!??), and was going up, up, up...at about 185lbs he started laughing and said 'April fools!'  He had been standing on the back of the scale... NOT NICE! 
When the doctor came in she said I shouldn't have made the long trip over, and I tried to explain the issue with the nurse I talked to on the phone, when she said 'you're numbers are normal.'  WHAT?!  That's right my WBC was 4.6, which is right on the line for normal!  Yay for me...good news for once.  She said we will continue to do count checks every 4 months.  I was also switched from B12 injections monthly to oral B12 pills weekly.  I will have my B12 checked and if it is low I will be referred to an internalist to find out why my body can't break down B12 in my GI tract.  So overall pretty good!!
I have no idea why after a year and a half my numbers are suddenly normal, the doctor is unsure as well.

1 comment:

  1. WOO HOO!!! THAT'S AWESOME NEWS!
    P.S Jeff played that same trick on me when I was pregnant... ROTTEN!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete